Friday, April 5, 2013




There was a great article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune last Sunday about hospice care.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/givingback/200632111.html 


I agreed with a lot of it, but took issue with a few things:
The volunteer said that he isn't really supposed to be friends with his patients, and he said that he normally doesn't go to the funerals of his clients.  

I find that some of my dearest friends were once clients, and going to their funerals is a matter of respect for me.  It tells the family that they were meaningful to me, and therefore, worthy of my time by paying honor to them at their memorial.  The celebration can also be a time to find out amazing things about clients that I never knew.  I love seeing all of the photos of days of health and happiness.  It is an irreplaceable way to say my final good bye and I would feel cheated without it!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment