Monday, November 7, 2011

A Dear Friend Gone but not Forgotten

There are rare times in hospice when I get to spend many months with a patient.  There are also times when I really connect with a patient.  "Marge" was just such a patient.  I met her for the first time on her birthday.  I should have known then, that this was going to be a special relationship.  I saw Marge every week from February until late October.  She had a health scare early in the summer and I sneaked in some extra visits with her.  I would just sit and hold her hand with my eyes closed.  She said that it felt comforting just to know that she wasn't alone.  On good days we would talk about her late husband, their travels, the war (WWII), her boys, my boys, and flowers.  She loved all of those things so much, and we laughed and cried countless times.  She was a special lady, who always had a smile and a wink for me upon arrival and departure.  Sadly she passed away at the end of October.  I already miss  her, and mourn the loss of such a dear friend in my life.  I feel so blessed to get to work in hospice and feel doubly blessed that hospice brought me this wonderful friend Marge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment