Monday, November 7, 2011

National Eagle Center Wabasha MN

Well, my laptop died and with it all of my log ins and information.  I haven't posted in ages.  It was paralyzing but I prevailed!
Last weekend I took a drive South on beautiful highway 61 to Wabasha MN.  I visited the National Eagle Center there and spent several hours trying to take in as much information as possible about this stunning creature! I asked a stranger to take my photo with a live eagle.  This is Harriet.  She was injured when she was leaving the nest, and she cannot fly.  She weighs about 20 lbs and is very friendly since she has spent most of her life at the Center.  It was a magical day for me to bond with a bird that has always seemed so rare and powerful to me.  I found it worth every bit of the 2.5 hour drive, and I plan to go back this winter to see the population swell outside where the Mississippi stays open all winter.  The eagles ride the ice floes and feed off of dead fish that rise with the currents.  What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment