Monday, April 11, 2011

Ice Out!

Over the weekend, I went for a long walk with a friend.  It was gray and sprinkling every now and again   We decided that we wanted to walk rain or shine.  We noticed that the ice was getting thin and dark.  We had to stop to watch a blue heron that was right next to the path.  It was stunning, and so close that we could really see all of its colors and detail.  We were both breathless for a minute in its presence.  Sunday the temperature hit almost 70 degrees here which is unexpected but very welcome.  We had a dose of reality this morning when my friend and I went out; the wind was strong and biting.  When we got down to the lake we saw that the ice was out!!!  Spring is officially here.  The sun was gleaming across the water on our return route, and we were breathing in the beauty and wonder of the reflected light after so many months of snow and ice cover.  There were many types of ducks over the lake this morning.  I will try to take my binoculars and identify them.  We have many unique species during migration, and I like to log them in my bird book.  Our crocus are just emerging, and my first daffodils bloomed in the warm sunshine today.  Oh Joy smiles in their bobbing yellow heads.  Smile and breathe deeply the fresh air of Spring...

No comments:

Post a Comment