Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Rare Treat

I had a nice walk in the sunshine over the weekend and decided to bring my binoculars.  What a nice surprise to discover that the small brown looking ducks across the lake was really a pair of hooded mergansers.  It was stunning to watch the male roll his head forward and back, changing the shape of the white spot on his head.  I just sat on the shore of the lake and watched the birds pass me by.  
Photo by Bill Schmoker
This morning on our return loop, I looked up into a tree right along the path where the eagles like to perch.  Sure enough, I saw a huge dark shape with a white head.  We were wondering  if the eagle might take flight as we approached.  They are known as a sign of wisdom, and I think it knew that we were no threat so far below, on foot, and just curious.  What a sight to behold.  My friend commented that he is always surprised at just how huge the eagles are up close.  What a blessing that we not only noticed the eagle, but that our crisp vision enabled us to see the amazing creature clearly.  We just stopped and breathed in our blessings today.

No comments:

Post a Comment