Thursday, April 7, 2011

Off the radar

Wow, what a week.  It was filled with early morning meetings, appointments, funerals, and business.  I did manage to get out for a walk every day.  It has been cold at night and then warm during the day.  It hit 61 degrees today!!!  Often in the morning, the open water along the shoreline will refreeze, and then along comes the warm sun and it melts again.    I watched 2 geese churn through the slush, plop their bellies on the ice, and then paddle their feet until they could climb onto the ice.  It was fun to see how it was done.  My muskrat friend has been busy each morning and surprises me with her swimming speed.  She can hold her breath until we tire of waiting for her to resurface.  
One day this past week, I was trying to get my exercise and wasn't paying attention to my surroundings.  Two pileated woodpeckers flew right in front of me on the path and then landed on a nearby tree.  I resolved to be more attentive and live in the present.  I rounded a bend and flushed a blue heron from a pond.  It took off by crossing my path, and then headed for a different body of water.  They are gangly looking birds at times, but they fly with such grace!  The birds were conspiring to bring me back to the here and now and settle my busy mind.   
I had the good fortune to walk mid day on Wednesday and was deep in thought when I saw two large bird shadows cross the path.  I looked up into the cornflower blue sky to find two red tailed hawks circling slowly right above me.  I was tempted to lay on the patch and watch their dance, but I decided against it.  I would have stayed all day if my neck hadn't objected. 
I did find a sunny spot to just sit and take in my surroundings.  It was a heavenly, beautiful, sunny day. I  had brought binoculars and enjoyed getting a close-up view of the birds.  Their colors are so much more vibrant than when they are far away.  The path was a well traveled road mid day, with smart Minnesotans who said, "Look at this day!  We need to get out and enjoy it!"  I noticed that even the pets had a new spring in their steps.  

Here's a cool blue heron video that will remind you to relax and breathe: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C3XmI8jphc&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment