Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Beautiful Vision

My walk was seen through completely  new eyes today.  A very dear friend of mine who is legally blind is having eye surgery this morning.  He is hoping to have the cataracts removed from his "good" eye so that he has some sight.  He is resigned to the fact that he will never have any vision in one of his eyes.  He spent yesterday living his life as if he may be 100% blind after his procedure today.  I thought of all of the things that I could see clearly this morning, and all of the times I have complained about how difficult it is to drive in the rain after dark.  My friend's situation was a real wake up call for me.  I felt truly blessed to be "blinded" by the beautiful sunshine this morning, to see the brilliant red cardinal on a roof top, and to be able to make out the deepening cracks in the lake ice that signal spring.  Today may we all give thanks for our working parts, and put a beautiful vision in our mental keepsake box.  
I just have to share this wonderful quote:

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.
Thomas A. Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment