Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What is it you do exaclty?

I get this question often.  I decided to post a client story as an illustration.
"Mike" was a man who had lived alone his whole life.  He was strong and independent and in his 80s but had no family living near him.  His only relative was a sister of similar age who lived hours away.  He was rushed to the hospital one day after having a stroke.  "Mike" was then moved to a nursing home for rehab.  I was called the week of his discharge.  As planned, I picked him up  from the nursing home on graduation day and drove him to his home.  I got him settled, picked up his mail from a neighbor, cleaned out his refrigerator, washed all of the dishes, took out the trash, and started some laundry.  I drove to the local market and picked up all of "Mike's" prescriptions and a few groceries.  I spoke with the phone company and helped him get a technician to come out and fix his phone that had stopped working.  We set up a schedule, and I came twice each week to check in, do laundry or grocery shopping, and help him with other things that he needed.  He knows that he probably needs to move into assisted living, but is not ready to give up his home and his independence yet.  I will be available to help him sort and pack when it is time to move on, but for now, I can help him stay in the place that he loves and has called home for 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment