Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Eagles and more Eagles

Google Image

This past Saturday March 19, was an amazing day.  The sky was clear blue, and the world seemed to be thawing.  I was on a walk and kept hearing this strange noise that sounded like a big bird, but not a bird that I could identify.  Something caught my eye and when I looked overhead, I saw about 20 Sandhill Cranes flying north.  They are huge birds.  I have seen them often in fields along side the Lake Wobegon Trail north of St Cloud.

Google Image
 When I got back home, I was standing outside soaking up the sunshine and seeing how the yard and house had weathered the winter.  Again, something caught my attention above me.  I looked up and saw 9 bald eagles right overhead.  A few were very low and several more were riding wind currents high above in the beautiful blue sky.  I have a special place in my heart for bald eagles.  According to a Minneapolis Star Tribune article published 03-23-11, in the 1960s there were "only about 50 breeding pairs nested in the state..." I can remember them being endangered, and I had never seen one until I was in my 20s.  "Officials estimate Minnesota now has about 2,300 breeding pairs and several thousand additional immature birds."  It's estimated that there are about 8,000 bald eagles in Minnesota.  I get a thrill every time that I see one because it is truly a gift.  They came back from near extinction and are prospering!  I am anxious to talk to my good friend Robin, who has studied numerology, to tell me about the significance of the number 9.  I'll let you know what she has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment